User Tools

Site Tools


glasgow_green

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

glasgow_green [2019/09/06 15:25] (current)
admin Taken from http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=31491&p=0
Line 1: Line 1:
 +====== Glasgow Green ======
 +===== History =====
 +In 1450, Bishop Turnbull gifted the common lands of Glasgow Green to the people of Glasgow.
 +Initially it was used for washing, bleaching linen, grazing, drying fishing nets and for swimming.
 +For centuries it functioned as the city's only green public open space. The park bears the thumbprint
 +of many custodians and it was under their influences that the swampy flood plain crossed by the
 +Camlachie Burn - in parts as wide as the Clyde - was converted into a levelled field/​parkland.
  
 +==== Key Events on The Green====
 +
 +In recent centuries, events have taken place on the '​Green'​ that continue to touch the lives of millions
 +worldwide. The following samples provide a taster:
 +  * 1732 - The Washhouse, Glasgow'​s first '​steamie',​ is built in the middle of a field on the banks of the Camlachie Burn.
 +  * 1745-46 - Prince Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) arrives in Glasgow with his army, their clothing in tatters. Rather than have the city sacked, merchants provide them with new garments and a revitalised Prince Charles reviews his troops on Flesher'​s Haugh.
 +  * 1831-32 - Massive demonstrations on the Green associated with the Reform Bill.
 +  * 1830-1914 - The Green becomes a favoured meeting place of suffragettes.
 +  * 1867 - Hundreds of thousands meet on the Green to hear about Gladstone'​s Reform Bill.
 +  *1888 - Sir Henry Doulton donates a terracotta fountain to the city. This is moved to the Green in 1890.
 +  * 1889 - Templeton'​s Carpet Factory completed. The design of the façade is based on the Doges Palace in Venice. The façade collapses on 1st November 1889 killing 29 women and girls.
 +  * 1898 - The People'​s Palace and Winter Gardens opens.
 +  * 1920s - Football pitches and changing facilities appear on Flesher'​s Haugh.
 +  * 1996 - Glasgow receives Heritage Lottery Award of £6.6m towards the £10.2m capital cost of renewal and revitalisation of the Green.
 +
 +==== Outstanding Features ====
 +  * The Doulton Fountain was moved to the Green in 1890 after the 1888 International Exhibition in Kelvingrove. Having undergone a £5m refurbishment the fountain has been relocated to the front of the People'​s Palace.
 +  * The naval victories of Viscount Horatio Nelson are commemorated by the impressive grade A listed column erected by public subscription in 1806. This was the first monument in Britain to be erected in his honour.
 +  * There are several notable monuments around the Green including:
 +    * The Collins Fountain erected in 1881 by the temperance supporters of Sir William Collins. ​
 +    * The impressive McLennan Arch designed by Robert and James Adam. The arch is a remodelling of the centre of the piano nobile of Robert and James Adam's 1890 Assembly Rooms, Ingram Street, as a triumphal arch. The building was demolished - and the arch was subsequently re-sited twice - the most recent being in 1992.
glasgow_green.txt · Last modified: 2019/09/06 15:25 by admin